As the temperature hits 39c today in Melbourne, AUSTRALIA I'm prompted to chat to you about tips to keeping your Pooch cool and safe in the heat.
It’s extremely vital to be careful of your puppy, Adult or Senior Dog 🐕 in the hot 🥵 weather
Just like us humans our Dogs feel the effect of the warmer weather even around 25c
PLEASE DO NOT:
- leave dogs in a car for any period of time is a DEFINITE NO!! Dogs 🐶 can dehydrate very quickly which may cause their organs to fatigue and expire
- walk Dogs on hot footpaths or in the sun if over 25c. Put the back of your hand on the footpath....if it's hot for you it's too hot for your Dog!
- leave your dog/s tied up in the heat/sun outside cafes/shops/supermarkets. The added issue is they could be stolen or spooked by passing cars. I have often seen Dogs tied to poles right near passing or parking traffic
TIPS FOR KEEPING YOUR DOG COOL:
- Keep extra bowls of water around the house/garden. Freshen at least once daily and keep topped up
- Walk in the cool times of the morning and evening
- Add extra hydration to food especially dry dog food/kibble which can dehydrate. Add a raw fresh egg or some water; minced green veggies squashed blueberries/strawberries
- Add ice blocks to water bowls
- Use Lickimats smeared with hydrating mix of any of these: canned tuna /sardines in water, natural yoghurt, mashed banana/pumpkin, grated zucchini/carrot, fresh raw mince beef/lamb/chicken. Mix together and spread across the Lickimat and freeze
- Frozen carrot sticks
- Frozen raw chicken necks or drummettes ( over 2 years of age )
- Fill a goat horn with some bone broth and mince, squashed blueberries